Apartment 4, The Old School, Bideford
- For Sale
A sympathetically restored former School divided into 21 contemporary apartments. Second Phase release of 9 apartments - a range of 1,2 & 3 Bed - all apartments being light and airy, with high ceilings, comprehensively fitted kitchens and bathrooms, many with original parquet flooring, electric skirting heating, large original windows, some apartments with river views and views over the town. Gated private driveway and pedestrian entrance, allocated parking, communal gardens. Rare opportunity 'City Apartments' in the little white town of Bideford.
A 2/3 Bedroom, Ground Floor Apartment arranged over 2 floors
THE ACCOMMODATION (in brief comprises):-
ENTRANCE DOORWAY leading into ENTRANCE HALLWAY with
OPEN-PLAN LOUNGE/ KITCHEN/ DINER 34'1 x 13'9' (10.40m x 4.20m) maximum measurements with fully fitted kitchen with matching eye and base units, integrated appliances, parquet flooring, sash windows. Woodburner as an optional extra.
BEDROOM ONE 16'1 x 12'5 (4.90m x 3.80m) with en-suite shower.
BEDROOM TWO 13'5 x 10'2 (4.10m x 3.10m)
GROUND FLOOR LUXURY BATHROOM
GALLERY BEDROOM THREE 16'4 x 13'9 (5.00m x 4.20m).
THE OLD SCHOOL is a purpose built school dating from 1902 which has been thoughtfully converted into 21 unique and modern apartments retaining many original features including sash windows, high ceilings and parquet flooring. The apartments have fully fitted kitchens with matching eye and base units, work surfaces and a range of comprehensive appliances, whereas the modern bathrooms and en-suites include double shower enclosures with rain showers, stainless steel heated towel rail/ radiators and panel baths with shower over. Many apartments have a mezzanine floor offering flexible living accommodation. The Villa is accessed via a gated entrance system with communal gardens, pond and two car parking spaces per apartment along with visitors' parking.
Although Geneva Place was completed in 1902 it is of an earlier design being brick built and circa 4.5m floor to ceilings. It is a unique Victorian building given the specification and wealth of original features and the mainly original condition of the building. The interior has a beautiful simplicity without the delicate frieze work or stained glass windows expected from this era. The width of corridors and feel of the interior space is very spacious with exposed brick, high timber sash windows and interior glazed windows.
The main alteration to the building has been the addition of a mezzanine floor through the majority of the ground floor and much of the first floor which is at least 30 years old.
BACKGROUND AND HISTORY
The Boarding School for girls and infants relocated in 1903 from the High Street to the new school at Geneva Place. After a fire, the Old Town School for Boys was transferred to Geneva Place. Following reorganisation in 1932, the senior pupils became a separate school on the upper floor pf the building. In 1955 and 1958 the infants and juniors were transferred to Pynes County Infants School and Westcroft County Junior School respectively. Since then the building was used by Bideford Grammar School and in the latter years Bideford College. The building ceased to be used in July 2010 at the end of the summer term when Bideford College moved into new purpose built facilities on the main campus thus ending 107 years of educational use for the building.
The Old School is located close to the centre of Bideford town; a historic, port town sat on the west bank of the River Torridge, where the river begins to widen to form the estuary and eventually join the River Taw and the Atlantic beyond. By the 16th century Bideford had become Britain's third largest port and Sir Walter Raleigh landed his first shipment of tobacco. Nowadays the working harbour is the home port of the M S Oldenburg which sails back and forth to Lundy Island, 12 miles off the northern coastline.
This area of North Devon was home to author Charles Kingsley and is where he based his novel Westward Ho! The village of Westward Ho! Was named after the book and is the only town in the UK with an exclamation mark. Kingsley also called Bideford 'The Little White Town'.
The town itself offers a range of shops and cafes, many of which are independently owned, as well as an historic Pannier Market and Butchers Row with local produce and craft traders. Other facilities include several supermarkets, doctor surgeries, community hospital, primary schools, secondary and independent school, cinema and recreational spaces.
Westward Ho! is approximately 3 miles from Bideford with its championship golf course and long sandy beach. Other places of interest in the locality include yachting and sailing within the river estuary at Instow and the nearby Tarka Trail well known for its cycling and walking as well as numerous other places of interest. Barnstaple the region's main town is situated approximately 7 miles distance which in turn gives access to the M5 motorway at Junction 27 (Tiverton).
The Lease is on a 999 year brand new Lease with £1,000 Service Charge and Maintenance (£800 Maintenance £200 Ground Rent),
Mains Electricity, Mains Drainage, Central Heating.
A reservation fee of £1000 is payable with £500 refundable if the purchaser withdraws. Cheques made payable to Unit 2 (Bideford) Ltd.
From Bideford Quay proceed up the High Street and turn left at the top. Take the next right at the crossroads into Abbotsham Road. Proceed along Abbotsham Road past the hospital on your right until reaching a cross roads with traffic lights. Turn left at the traffic lights into Dymond Road. Continue up this road where you will see The Old School to be a short distance along on your left hand side.